Quality of application plays an important role in Software Testing. As the use of applications has become a necessary part in our day to day life. So maintaining its quality has also become important. Now days, to maintain the quality of an application is must and it’s important to involve the Quality Assurance Teams in the beginning to reduce the efforts, save time and kill rework. Quality of application is not totally dependent on the time to test that application. However, it depends on many other factors such as Strategy being followed by the testers, knowledge of the people who are involved in testing, attention towards the basic details and thinking like the end users.
We can say that the quality of application could be proportional to time taken to test the application at some instances. Where the application is having wide range of functional and usage scope and containing the possibilities of large user stories (Example: In case of social networking application).
While testing an application, we do have to check everything. However, we can do it in a smart way. Below mentioned are the ways to improve the quality in limited time:-
1) Define Quality to Match Your Needs: Quality depends on the needs of the end users. So the needs to be tested may differ from application to application.
2) Broadcast Simple Quality Metrics: Use matrices such as Requirement Tractability Matrix (RTM), Bug triage etc to reduce the effort.
3) Test Smarter to Test Less: Focus on the most crucial and at risk prone areas. It will automatically reduce the time for testing.
4) Design Applications to Lesser Bug Risk: The design of the application should be simple and clean. So that the code is also simple which results in fewer bugs in the code. It will automatically reduce the bug count.
5) Optimize the Use of Testing Tools: Automate the processes which need to be checked repeatedly.
To get an application which is loved by the users, quality of the application should be maintained.
As there is always the requirement of adequate time to test any application as per it’s functionality. Though after completing the test cycle in the provided time slot, if the allocated time for testing is being increased and no changes are being made from development side, then two possibilities of further testing comes in play:
1) Either to test the application on the basis of previous created test cases
But every time execution of same test cases that would not help more in finding more bugs.
2) Or Explore the application as more as possible this is a better option to look for more defects in application but there comes a stable stage when most of the bugs have been fixed only few low minor bugs are left with the application and such stable stage may not give more possibility of new or major bugs. Hence, after this stable stage if the testing cycle is consistently being increased without making any further change in development side, it may not be that much fruitful in increasing product quality as the quality would have been achieved by the application when its stable conditions would have been achieved.
Quality of application depends upon various other factors like usability, performance, customer requirements, competitive market, number of bugs etc. Quality is directly proportional to ‘Testing’ of the application and not on the time taken to test the application.
Right QA process throughout STLC ensures the quality of the application but the time taken to follow the QA process is not counted towards quality of the application. Coordination between QA teams also plays an important role in quality assurance of the application.Coverage of all the application requirements effectively is a key aspect in delivering quality product. Thus, to conclude my view time is not necessarily an important factor in testing and is not directly proportional to quality of the product.
For Example: Let’s assume about a application which contains various complex functions and is integrated with different products, which will consume a lot of time for planning and documentation of test process flows. However with effective planning and proper documentation of requirement based test cases covering all aspects, time to test the application will be saved thus, delivering the quality product in effective way.